13 November 2012

Comforting

So I kept the pounds at bay with all of the pavement pounding I did while in Manhattan. Lucky for me too because we hit some really great spots.
OK, now that I've listed the places I ate at while in NYC, I'm thinking there's no way possible I walked off enough of that food. Especially if you consider the extras that popped up here and there, like 3/4 of the Billy's Bakery cupcake that Stacey opted not to eat and I gladly snarfed down. And the yummy bar pizza that I was greeted with on the night of the Nor'easter. So I guess I should be glad we didn't do a weigh in and weigh out on this trip.

Anyway, I am glad to be back home in my comfy little kitchen where I can create snacks and meals to satisfy me and my family. On the flight back on Saturday after I finished the crossword puzzles and sleep would not come, I read the SWA magazine and came across a mouth-watering recipe...

Caught My Eye

I really wanted to make these savory fritters on Saturday night, but I had competing needs. I really wanted to shower, unpack, do some laundry and spend some time with my sweet little Gracie - before the family got home from the basketball tournament - and then spend time with them afterwards. So this tasty treat had to wait until Sunday evening after I cleaned up from the birthday girl's lunch (Baked Potato Soup, Iceberg Wedge Salad and Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake.)

Lemon and Sage
Looking good already, even without the zest (which was already in the fritter batter)

While the kids were outside enjoying what was left of the sunlight (and the start of the evening if we're being honest), I got busy preparing the fritter batter and emulsifying the aioli.

AIOLI 
2 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
1 tsp coarse salt
1 egg yolk
1 C + 2 TBSP canola oil

Preparation: With a mixer combine lemon juice, garlic and salt. Add egg yolk and blend. While continuing to blend, with the mixer running slowly, add oil a little at a time until emulsified.

Garlic Lemon Aioli
This lemon-garlic aioli was tangy and a perfect accompaniment to the savory lemon sage fritter...
FRITTERS (makes 40)
1 pound ricotta
4 eggs
1 C all purpose flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1 TBSP chopped fresh sage
1 tsp kosher salt
zest of 2 lemons
vegetable
oil kosher salt
grated pecorino

Preparation: With a mixer, cream ricotta and eggs. Blend in flour, baking powder, sage, salt, and lemon zest. Chill batter for thirty minutes. Fill a pan to 1-1/2" depth of vegetable oil and heat to 350 degrees. Fry tablespoon-sized balls of batter until cooked through, about four minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lay fritters on paper towels to dry and sprinkle with salt and grated pecorino. Serve with aioli.

Sage Lemon Ricotta Fritters
Crispy and golden outside and creamy in the middle... (they do look a bit like mushrooms in this pic)


And today I promised to make banana nut bread with the 4 overripe bananas and pecans from the back yard. I kept my word and that was a nice before bed snack.

Guess I better devise a workout plan, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!