15 June 2012

Delighted Cooking


When I lived in Dallas (back in 1995-1997) all of the service industry folks would say "Delighted" in response to a "Thank You" given for fresh towels or room service or tech support even. I preferred it to "You're Welcome" and I felt really pampered and cared for when they'd say that, even when tech support didn't resolve the issue at hand. 

Try saying that today when someone thanks you for something you've given them or helped them with and see if it doesn't make you feel delighted. Of course I'm sure that feeling of helping someone probably doesn't add to that at all, right?

And when I worked at Frusen Gladje during high school we had an ice cream dish called a Swedish Delight. That brought some smiles and warm fuzzy feelings too as I recall. I think it was really just a single scoop sundae, but calling it a delight transformed it into something special.

And I always enjoy hearing from people who've spent time with my children that he/she was an absolute delight.

{So that doesn't happen every day, but it has been known to happen. My kids are a delight!...sometimes...}

As I was perusing some of my favorite blogs I felt delighted and while I was gathering recipes to try out over the next little while I was thinking that these recipes would be welcomed in Cooking Light and how delighted I felt and ....

.
.
.
I can see you are not entertained with my train (or derailment) of thought.

So anyway, here are some recipes I want to try out this weekend and I thought I'd share in case you were looking for something yummy or light or umami.

Umami Turkey Rosemary Burgers with Avocado

African Black Eyed Pea Salad (Saladu Ñebbe)

Lemon Rosemary Sorbet

Note: I am not a huge fan of Rosemary but I'm going to see if I can do something about that.

Hope you have a delightful weekend, friends!

5 comments:

  1. I love that. I say Thank You or Excuse Me or Pardon me all the time, in the grocery store, at the pharmacy, to The Hubby or my girls. Politeness is essential and I will add Delighted to that list. Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get feedback from total strangers about how polite my kiddos are and that makes me feel good, but they are not so polite with each other. Maybe I ought to teach them to say "delighted"? Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I love that - so polite! I remember a course in business school where we learned that a customer should always leave feeling 'delighted'. it sounds like they have it right in Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The customer being delighted goes a long way in keeping business/promoting business. It may not keep the business open (like Frusen Gladje where I worked in high school (closed down) and Digital Equipment Corp was no longer in business after I'd only been there for 5 mos - their motto was "Whatever it takes" back then....) but it does make me look back with fondness at my memories...

      Delete
  3. Nolita, this was a delightful post, really! I tend to be in a perpetual state of delight :), but hadn't thought to express it as a way of saying "you're welcome." Great idea... delightful idea!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!